Healthy and yummy
A few folks have asked for something simple that can be easily translated from the kitchen to the crag with Jetboil and such. So I was sent the Indian Rice blend by Seeds of Change and just basically cooked something really quick on the fly with what I had at home. The below can be easily translated at the crag with organic canned veggies, all dumped into a pan and ready within minutes with plenty of nutrients. Or if you are a nerd like me, chop everything up ahead of time, put it in a cooler and just have it all nice and O’naturale for the crag. I like to avoid canned stuff when I can these days. The Seeds of Change mix had lentils and chickpeas. Lentils are an awesome source of protein, antioxidants, vitamin C, B, tons of essential amino acids, iron, fiber, and more. I added broccoli but another good choice is spinach and/or kale. Just make sure you add enough nutrients with choice of veggies to help keep your strong on a performance cragging trip. I always pretty much add garlic to every recipe, just enough to taste good, but not too much to smell bad….if you know what I mean, haha!
So here is what I did, for convenience sake and commitment to Seeds of Change a 20 minute recipe goes something like this:
Ready to munch on with a tiny bit of gouda cheese on top!
- 2 bags of Seeds of Change Indian Rice Blend
- Handful of broccoli
- 1/2 of a 1/2 of an onion
- A few bits of garlic
- 1/2 packet of Grape tomatoes (about ~6-8 tomatoes)
- Sea Salt, Olive Oil, my very favorite gouda cheese from Spain (Ole!)
The Cookin’ Part
- Start boiling the broccoli
- Cut the onions and garlic into really small pieces and grape tomatoes in 4 pieces
- Heat a saute pan with a tiny bit of olive oil
- Add the onions, garlic, and tomatoes
- Add the 2 packets of Seeds of Change rice (or you can microwave for 90 seconds, I prefer to cook in a pan)
- Sir and lower heat and let cook for about 15-20 minutes on low
- Add sea salt to taste
- Add a small serving of diced or grated gouda cheese, serve and chomp down!
Thanks Seeds of Change for offering a convenient alternative to yummy healthy foods. It is actually growing on me and I love it when I have little time and need something quick and Whole Foods carries this brand, woohoo. Check them out at www.seedsofchangefoods.com.